Becoming Carbon Neutral
the world’s first network
infrastructure provider to
achieve carbon neutral status
The current population of our planet is just over 7 billion. By 2030 it is expected to reach 9 billion. This puts a huge strain on finite natural resources, while carbon emissions must be controlled to mitigate climate change.
It’s official. In 2011 Brand-Rex became the world’s first network infrastructure provider to achieve carbon neutral status in accordance with PAS2060.
It required the following steps:
- Generate a company carbon footprint to set our baseline
- Declare our reduction commitment: reduce CO2e emissions by 20% by 2015
- Implement a strategy to reach our carbon reduction target
- Balance any remaining carbon emissions through offsetting
- Make a declaration of achievement
Unsurprisingly for a manufacturing company, electricity use accounted for the majority of our emissions. Heating fuel and product logistics also contributed significantly. Together these three areas made up 90% of our emissions, giving us a clear point of focus. In order to give us a relatable year-on-year figure to work against, our carbon footprint was divided by the number of cable metres produced in a year.